Monday Mornings in my classroom: Weekend Reports

I love Monday mornings in my classroom :)

Why? Because I have a lesson planned for every Monday morning with practically no planning on my part. Ahhh...it's wonderful. But, don't start thinking that I'm a lazy teacher! It's a great activity that works on listening, speaking, writing, reading, and social skills. It can't get any better than that, right?

On Fridays all students get their homework for the weekend - to write down what they did over the weekend. I have different formats based on student needs. Some students write their responses and other students type and email them in. (Since I can't count on all of the parents, um I mean students to finish their homework, I allow about 15 minutes at the beginning of the class for students to finish their work if they didn't do it while other students work on a different task.)

They all take turns sharing their reports. I have an "accomplishment checklist" that students mark off after they presented their report which motivates some students. I also have students volunteer to read their report instead of me calling on anyone. Sometimes we have awkward silence and it took a while at first, but now, halfway through the year of doing this, I have most of my students volunteering on their own which is awesome! Also, I now have students asking me what I did over the weekend! It's great to see these skills being carried over to typical social situations.

Other students are reminded to listen when others are talking and to think about what the speaker is saying. Students have a sheet that they write down something each person did and they can also ask questions (sometimes prompted by me. Ex. hm, he said he went to see a movie. I wonder what movie he saw. What could we ask to find out?)

I have included my weekend report packet on my TPT store.
Special Ed Weekend Reports Social LA ActivitySpecial Education Weekend Writing Prompt

Pages included are:
2-3: (Advanced) Basic weekend prompt, p3 has more space between lines
4-6: (Beginner) Detailed weekend prompts (On Friday I watched…), p5-6 have more writing space
7-8: (Higher) Weekend prompts with Who, What, and Where, p8 has more space between lines for writing
9: Weekend Fill-ins on Monday

I would love for you to download this AMAZING resource and try it out in your classroom! If you use it, I would love to hear how it goes so either leave a comment here or leave feedback on my TPT store. Morning mornings will never be the same again - you can thank me for that later :)

and Happy New Year!!

5 comments

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog & I'm so excited to be your newest follower, too! I love your Weekend Homework idea. With my first graders, we write in our journals every morning and Monday is always "My Weekend". I think sending it home as homework is a great idea - I might try that. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog today.
    I have a class meeting every morning with my fourth graders. They also write about their weekends. Some years I have a journal where I write back to them. It's interesting to see this idea with different grade levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for adding me to your blogroll.

    ~Traci
    The Bender Bunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I love finding other special education blogs to follow :)

      Delete
  4. I love this idea, Brie! What a great activity to get your students communicating right away on Monday morning! :)

    Kara
    Spedventures

    ReplyDelete

(C) Brie Holtrop- Breezy Special Ed. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top